The Spelling report looks a lot like the Terminology report. Spelling errors are by default grouped by the misspelled word. A sample spelling report is shown on the screenshot below. Please see the elements description under the screenshot.
- Buttons to set up the display of non-printable characters and tags in the text, to export the report, to save the project (this button is greyed out if there are no unsaved changes) and to turn comments on/off
- Help button
- The list of detected spelling errors
- Buttons to add the word to the user’s dictionary and to edit the user dictionary
- List of suggested spelling corrections and the buttons to replace the misspelled word with the correct one
- Segment editor
- Comment field
Working with the spelling report is similar to working with the general report.
- Select an error in the spelling error list (see the screenshot above, area 3) (similar errors in one segment are displayed as one error). The Spaces button lets you hide or show non-printable characters (like spaces and tabs) in the segment text. The Medium tags button allows you to toggle between displaying long, short and medium tags (see the screenshot above, area 1).
- To view the segment in context, double-click the error to open the whole file in the Context Viewer.
- If a correct suggestion is provided in List 5, select it and click the Replace button or press Alt+A to apply the correction. If all misspelled words in the group require similar replacement, just click the Replace group button or press Alt+G.
- If the current spelling is correct and does not require changes, click the Add to user dictionary button or press Alt+D to save this word in the user’s dictionary and avoid reporting it in the future. The user dictionary is saved automatically, so once the word is added to it, it won’t be reported any longer; there is no need to save the project to have the words saved in the dictionary.
- If you do not want to add the word to the user’s dictionary and also do not want to correct the spelling, right-click it in the list (or just press Space) to assign it No error status. If there are too many errors that need to be ignored, resolve all the remaining errors and then press Ctrl+Shift+Space. You can unignore all errors in the group in the same way. The statuses are saved between editing sessions (i.e. even if you close Verifika and then open it with this project again). Errors with No error status will not export to an Excel file if you don’t select the checkbox while saving the file.
- If the word is misspelled, and the correct variant is missing from List 5, type it in the field above the suggestions press Enter to confirm changes. The suggestion you select or type will also be at the first place next time Verifika detects the same spelling error. It is not however automatically added to the user dictionary. You can also type the word you need directly in the Target segment field; however, in this case the word will be added neither to the user dictionary nor to the suggestion list.
If you make a change but do not press Enter to confirm before selecting another error in the list, a confirmation window will prompt you to confirm or discard the changes.
After confirmation, the updated segment is re-checked on the fly, and resolved errors are deleted from the report. If some errors are not corrected or new errors are introduced, they will be added to the report. If all errors have been resolved, the amended segment is no longer shown in the report, but may still be found in the list on the Pending changes tab until you press Ctrl+S or the button to save the changes.
After confirmation, the report automatically switches to the next not ignored error in the list.
- Repeat the steps above to resolve all the errors in the list. When you resolve an error or assign it No error status the report automatically switches to the next pending error in the list. Once you review the last error in the group, the next group will be expanded. You can expand all errors by pressing Ctrl+Shift+E (Ctrl+Shift+W to collapse them).
- If you occasionally typed something wrong, but already pressed Enter to confirm, switch to the Pending Changes tab to rollback the change or re-edit the segment as needed.
- If you want to add a comment to a segment, and the Comment field is not visible, click Comments and insert your comments in the lower field that appears. All comments are saved automatically and exported to Excel reports. In order to delete a comment you will need to manually delete the text from the field.